Monday, August 25, 2008

KASHMIR PHOTOS: OWAIS ZARGAR

Before going to Kashmir last winter I tried to make some on-the-ground contacts, using the internet, so that I could call on an acquaintance in Srinagar. I'm glad I did. It was my first trip to India, one of the most challenging and sensational destinations on earth, and Srinagar was my first step into it beyond the airport.

A visit to Srinagar would completely peg out the sketch-o-meter of an ordinary tourist, and I could see in an instant why the insurance company declined my coverage in Kashmir. It is a fortified city.

Within a few days of arrival my internet friend appeared to visit me where I was holed up at the Grand Hotel. He is Owais Zargar, a photojournalist born, raised, and working in Srinagar. His work captures on the one hand the gravity of street-level skirmishes, and Kashmir's dazzling beauty on the other.
Photo credit: Owais Zargar

Owais Zargar: KASHMIR BLOG
Owais Zargar: KASHMIR PHOTOSTREAM
NOTE: I first saw the term sketch-o-meter in a TGR Forum post about Kashmir.